Gianmaria Potenza (1936 - ?) - Italy
Size: 170 cm x 110 cm
Medium: Oil and construction on hardboard
Signed and dated lower left corner
|Gianmaria Potenza was born en Venice on 9 December 1936. He attended the Istituto Stalate d'Arte under the enlightened guidance of Georgio Wenter Marini. He almost immediately set up a studio where even today many forms of art are still practiced: graffiti, painting on wood and velvet, varnishing, ceramics, engraving on glass, metal and concrete, wooden sculptures and mosaics. In 1952 he exhibited for the first time taking part in a collective exhibition at the Bevilacqua La Masa Foundation, where he also held his first one-man show in 1958.
In 1954 and 1956, as a prize-winning student, he was invited to exhibit his works at the Venice Biennale. He was later to return to the Biennale in 1958, 1960, 1966, 1968 and 1986 when he created a floating steel and aluminum sculpture in the Venetian lagoon entitled the "Ninfea Armonica", and in 1995 he was invited by "Le Venzie". Potenza has always preferred large-scale - at times gigantic - "applied" works rather than having to cater to the tastes of individual patrons. Hence his works are often in conjunction with world-famous architect, for large banks, liners, public and private offices, hotels and churches. In this way, his creative gift has led him to experiment with an architectural conception of space that goes beyond the traditional distinctions between painting and sculpture.
For a number of years he also designed and produced religious vestments and church furnishing for the Holy See.
In 1968 he founded "La Murrina" Glass factory, with the purpose of designing objects and elements of lightning.
Thanks to numerous one-man shows and collective exhibitions, Potenza's art has been greatly admired both in Italy and abroad. His works can be found in museums and in public collections all over the world.
Back to Previous Page